s197.co.uk

Low Oil Pressure warning and a Start Button

Kids don't even know what a VCR is nowadays...........

by ozza » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:50 pm

Fitted a start button to MY07 Mustang GT last week – all happy – no problems.

This morning I went to start it and got a very disturbing ‘low oil pressure’ warning, a couple of seconds after start up the warning goes and oil pressure looks normal – checked oil level = all OK….

After a day of concern I came home and googled away and found a couple of suggestions mentioning a relationship with the starter button.

The normal sequence is, turn ignition to II, watch oil pressure gauge rise then fall to the red, turn to III to start, oil gauge briefly flicks below the red then rises up to normal.

Using the starter button, if you follow the same sequence (again waiting the few seconds for the gauge to fall to the red, on pressing the start button the gauge does not flick below the red and you get the oil pressure warning on the dash for a couple of seconds.

If you start as normal or use the button before the gauge falls to the red all is OK.

The button was wired leaving the key ignition also enabled, I guess if you cut the wire from the ignition you don’t get the problem but now I know I am happy to leave the option of key starting.

Attached is a video to see the sequence for yourself.

My guess is the button doesn’t send the same message to the ‘brain’ as the key is still at position II – but I don’t believe this is a problem – unless someone else knows otherwise…..

Hope this is helpful and saves you the heart failure I experienced earlier today!!!

GT Stang

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaU9bCZvcww[/youtube]
ozza
Site Admin

Name: Gareth
Year Of Mustang: 2005

by rmstu » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:18 pm

I've just Pm'd shmustang has he had the same problem, i to have just fitted the starter button to and not cut the ignition wire so i can start it with the key,
shmustang said by fitting a relay will solve this problem.
rmstu

Name: stuart

by GT Stang » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:40 pm

Update:
I spoke to Trev re cutting the wire from the ignition to solve the warning - conclusion was it probably wouldn't make any difference - may be the relay installation suggested by 'rmstu' would sort it - but to be honest now I understand what causes the warning message I'm happy as is.

Thanks Ozza for posting the video
GT Stang

Year Of Mustang: 2006

by rmstu » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:13 am

After speaking to Shmustang im also happy how it is and just going to leave it, he said that id have to put a relay where SJB is, that sounds far to dodgy for my electrical no how. :?
Stu.
rmstu

Name: stuart

by GT Stang » Wed May 02, 2012 8:51 pm

GT Stang

Year Of Mustang: 2006

Return to The VCR - Post your auto videos here